As a Canvass Director or Assistant Canvass Director for the Fund, you run a campaign office in one of dozens of cities throughout the country. The staff you supervise educate citizens about the issues and get them involved in campaigns to win progressive change. They do this by canvassing; they go out into communities to talk to as many people as possible and get them involved. In essence, your job is to build a team of committed activists who mobilize hundreds, even thousands of citizens to take action. You give leading groups the people power they need to win.
The Human Rights Campaign is fighting bigotry to protect civil rights of all Americans, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity. Environment America is working to protect our waterways and preserve our wilderness areas. U.S. PIRG is standing up to powerful special interests in order to improve public transportation, fix our health care system, and stop the government from subsidizing unhealthy food.
At the Fund for the Public Interest, we partner with these and other leading progressive organizations to help fight for the future of our health, our environment, and our democracy. We are looking for candidates to join us as Canvass and Assistant Canvass Directors.
As a Director you would help to run a local grassroots campaign office for one of the groups we work with. You would be responsible for hiring, training, and managing a staff of canvassers, who work full-time to educate the public, sign-up members, build visibility, raise money, and put grassroots pressure on decision makers. Being a Director requires that you work independently, exercising good judgment and discretion, to meet the office’s staffing, campaign, and field work goals.
Meet Goals for Your Campaign
- Reach or exceed your office’s fundraising and membership goals. Most offices have goals of education 100,000 people, gathering 35,000 political actions, raising $250,000 and identifying 5,000 members each year.
Recruit, Train and Manage a Staff of Canvassers
- Recruit, hire, and manage a campaign staff of 10-40 staff.
- Train staff on effective canvassing and campaigning techniques.
- Run staff meetings and skills trainings.
- Arrange expert briefings and issue workshops to educate and motivate staff.
- Evaluate staff performance and give ongoing feedback.
- Identify strong staff, teach them leadership skills, and promote from within.
- Lead by example. Canvass two to three times a week so you can train new staff; evaluate current staff; raise money, identify and activate members, and educate the public on the issues.
- Oversee administrative functions related to campaign goals, staff management, fundraising and membership development, and general office management.
- Ensure that funds raised and member information collected gets to the partner organizations.
- Complete your staff’s payroll accurately and in a timely fashion.
Other Campaign Tactics
- In addition to the campaign work that happens while canvassing, you will work with our partner organizations to employ campaign tactics outside of canvassing, such as petition drives, coalition building, letter-writing, phone banks, media work, or press conferences.
Throughout the year, new and experienced Directors will participate in advanced trainings on staff management, canvassing, campaign strategy, media, and public speaking. Directors also go through extensive training with the Fund and partner organizations on other core activist skills.
We are looking for smart, motivated, action-oriented college graduates who are interested in politics and have a commitment to public interest issues. It’s a lot of hours, so to do this work, you need stamina. You need to be able to convey the sense of urgency and passion you feel about these issues. You need to be able and willing to work hard. You need to be resourceful on a shoestring budget.
Directors will earn $24,000-$28,500 in their first year, depending on position. The Fund offers a generous benefits package that includes full paid health care, college loan assistance, paid holidays, and paid sick days. Directors also earn two weeks paid vacation and become eligible to join our 401(k) program upon completion of their first year. Salary and benefits differ in CA and NY.
We are running campaigns in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, TX, WA, WI, and Washington, D.C.
Fill out our online application. Click here to apply now.
For more information, call (303) 573-5995 ext. 334 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.